How to replace plexiglass windows with Clear Glass
When in search of materials to use for both commercial and residential windows, there are so many options available both in the online and offline market. However, a lot of commercial and residential building owners prefer opting for the clear Glass or plexiglass window inserts due to the advantages both glasses have to offer when used for windows.
What are Plexiglass windows?
Windows Plexiglass are windows made from acrylic materials; they are easy to use, transparent, and can be shaped into various forms. Plexiglass windows offer so many advantages, some of which includes:
- Withstand severe storm conditions: Plexiglass can also withstand harsh weather conditions.
- Coatings: Plexiglass windows can also be treated easily using UV coating for protection. It can also be tinted into various colors.
- Cost savings: Plexiglass windows are cost-saving options for commercial and residential buildings because they have lower shipping cost and are lighter to transport.
- Easy to work with: Plexiglass is easy to work with. It can be installed quickly, and it is less prone to damage.
- Pliable: Plexiglass is more pliable than other material. It does not crack easily, which means that it requires less caution during the installation process. When under the high impact, it doesn’t shatter easily.
- Comes in various colors: Plexiglass comes in various color options that can be used to suit your design needs.
What are clear glass windows?
Clear glass windows have a thin coating which helps to hold heat during the winter and keep the sun out in summer. Clear glass window does not scratch easily, and they block air from escaping the home more efficiently.
Paint Calculator helps user to calculate the home painting cost per square feet and choose the best painting option for home walls. Find the perfect colors for your walls with our paint Visualizer tool. You can virtually paint your home, or experiment with one of our rooms.Other advantages of clear glass windows include:
- Increases the value of a home: Clear glass windows helps to increase your home value, and make people see your home differently.
- Unique designs: Clear glass windows offer so many attractive and unique designs that add a personal touch to your home. They make the home look beautiful and outstanding.
- Energy Efficiency: Clear glass window are eco-friendly and energy efficient; they help to incorporate natural light into your home.
- Affordable: Clear glass windows are affordable when compared to other materials used for windows.
Plexiglass and clear glass windows; which is best for you?
Both plexiglass and clear glass windows offer so many advantages and disadvantages. In comparing the two, here are a few factors that must be put into considered:
- Cost effective options: Clear Glass is generally less expensive, scratch resistant, and can be easily recycled them plexiglass windows. However, one of the biggest advantages of plexiglass is that they do not shatter easily even though they are more expensive than clear Glass. Working with Plexiglas is also very easy
- Composition: Plexiglass windows are made of clear acrylic sheets; it is plastic and petroleum-based product. Clear Glass, on the other hand, is an inorganic, non-crystalline, and solid compound that was cooled from liquid to solid.
- Light reflection: Clear Glass reflects light easily than plexiglass surface. However, plexiglass offers increased clarity and less glare.
- Shattered Glass: Clear Glass gets shattered easily because they are made of amorphous materials while plexiglass, which is softer, does not shatter. The only problem with plexiglass is that it gets scratched easily, which makes cleaning a bit difficult unless you choose safe cleaners.
- Cutting: Plexiglass made of acrylic materials can be cut easily into different types of shapes and sizes to meet the users need while clear Glass is sometimes quite difficult to cut into different sizes.
- Recycling: Clear Glass can be recycled easily, which plexiglass, which involves the use of petrochemical, are difficult and more expensive to recycle.
Step by step replacement guide for plexiglass with Clear Glass
Here is a detailed process of plexiglass window replacement
Step 1: Put on your safety gloves and carefully remove your window sash.
Step 2: Carefully remove the plexiglass window
Step 3: Measure the pane to determine how large the clear class need to be, then deduct 1/8 inch from the length and width.
Step 4: Install your clear glass window using the manufacturer’s guide
Step 5: Adjust the clear glass until it fits perfectly well
Step 6: Thin coat the window pane using a putty knife and carefully press down until you have a good seal
Step 7: Spray any gap surrounding the window frame then replace the trim, and casing
Factors to consider when choosing a glass material for your window
Some of the factors to consider when choosing a glass material for your window include the following:
- Materials: Material quality plays a very important role in the life span of your window. Both plexiglass and clear Glass are made of high-quality materials; they are durable and can last their lifetime if handled properly.
- Cleaning and maintenance: Keeping your window clean shouldn’t be a chore. Therefore, you must choose a material with assistive features which makes them easy to clean and handle.
- Interior Appeal: You also need to pick glass materials that blend with the interior design of your home. You should be able to appreciate your window from inside, and the window must create a balance between your wall, ceilings, floors, and the entire room.
- Energy Efficiency: If you plan to live in your home for years, then you need windows that are energy efficient and capable of lasting you a lifetime. This helps you save a lot of money from heating and cooling after installation.
- Budget: Your budget also plays a huge role in the type of window you buy. Plexiglass windows are generally more expensive than the clear glass windows. However, the prices are justifiable when compared to all the features and advantages they have to offer to home and commercial property
- Site and neighborhood: This is also a very important consideration. Your glass selections must also depend on where your home or commercial property is situated; For instance, if you reside in high-density areas, you need a noise reducing glass window. People who reside in areas where children play need a plexiglass window that cannot be shattered easily. Those who are posed to face privacy issues might consider a glass window that allows natural light to enter into the home while providing privacy at a short time. Also, if you reside in bushfire prone areas, then you need a glass material that is resistant to bush fire, which helps to protect the building by reducing the flow of radiated heat through the window.
How to make window well cover out of plexiglass
Window well covers help to protect the windows around your basement. Here are few steps on how to make your window well cover out of plexiglass
- Step 1: Buy your plexiglass and metal grate from an online or offline store. Before making your purchase, ensure that you have the right measurement of your well. Also, ensure that your plexiglass is wide enough to fit into the grate so that the metal does not rust.
- Step 2: Clear off the areas around the well
- Step 3: Attach the plexiglass to the grate using the glue gun
- Step 4: Once you have your plexiglass glued to the grate, you can install the grate to the well.
- Step 5: After installing the grate, test the grate to ensure you did a good job.
Finally, both clear glass and window plexiglass offers so many advantages when used for residential and commercial windows. Clear Glass is cheaper, scratch resistant and can be easily recycled while plexiglass is shatter-resistant, stronger, and can withstand stormy weather. However, the type of Glass you choose for your window will largely depend on your privacy need, special effects, durability, purpose, and the decoration.